CATIE Clinical Antipsychotic Trials of Intervention Effectiveness
A Multicenter, double-blind, parallel-group, randomized, controlled trial
- Setting: 57 centers in the US.
- Analysis: Intention-to-treat.
- Follow-up: 18 months.
- Primary outcome: time to discontinuation of treatment for any cause
Among patients with schizophrenia,
- Patients receiving olanzapine
- >> experienced a longer time to discontinuation,
- Compared with the other antipsychotic medications, BUT
- >> they experienced higher:
- weight gain,
Lieberman JA, et al. "Effectiveness of antipsychotic drugs in patients with chronic schizophrenia". The New England Journal of Medicine. 2005. 353(12):1209-23.