ADVOCATE: A Tool for Assessment of Eyewitness EvidenceIt is a tool designed to assess the eyewitness evidence that how much it is reliable. It requires the user to respond to several statements/questions. Forensic psychologist, police or investigative officer can do it.
The mnemonic ADVOKATE stands for:
- A = amount of time under observation (event and act)
- D = distance from suspect
- V = visibility (night-day, lighting)
- O = obstruction to the view of the witness
- K = known or seen before when and where (suspect)
- A = any special reason for remembering the subject
- T = time-lapse (how long has it been since witness saw suspect)
- E = error or material discrepancy between the description given first or any subsequent accounts by a witness.